The Anderson Institute is one of Lerwick’s most important landmark buildings, it was founded by Arthur Anderson in 1860 and commands a prominent position on the Knab at the gateway to Shetland
The repair or replacement of rotting woodwork, cills, broken glazing and sash mechanisms was phased over 2 years to ensure minimal disruption to the school calendar . Special windows, such as the leaded lights in the tower and a 3-light oriel window to the library were painstakingly restored to preserve as much of the original character of the building as possible.
Additional works included stonework repairs, re-pointing and lintol replacement. The work was carried out in collaboration with Historic Scotland and the Scottish Lime Centre.